Monday, February 12, 2007

Invictus by W.H.Henley

This is a poem -''INVICTUS by W.E. Henley. I've chosen it because the last two lines speaks volumes to me about life with MS.
INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloodied but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And ye the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

W.E. Henley

Multiple Sclerosis is a condition which as yet has no cure but for which there are many treatments depending on symptoms. What I've learned throughout my adult life with MS though is that we cannot 'undo' the condition, yet we can pretty much take control over things especially with regards the choice of being content and making the best we can out of a situation.

At this moment in time it would be imprudent of me to say anymore because my views form part of the Introduction to my book 'Stumbling Along- A Journey with the Master of Surprises' (c) Eiona Roberts 2006 available at the end of this month.


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

cant wait to read the book,
sharon

Anonymous said...

This book is wonderfull!!!!!!!!!! Am enjoying reading it and am ploughing through it at a rate of knots

Nikki